Self Concepts

Self-concept, self-esteem, and self-presentation are different theories in sociology about oneself. Each of these is an important concept in sociology which helps answer the question whether sociology is a science or not.

Self-concept, according to Purkey  (1988), is  the totality of complex, organized, and dynamic system of learned belief attitudes and opinions that each person holds to be true about his or her personal experience  (para. 2). Self-esteem, on the other hand, is the feeling of worth of an individual how content a person is with him or herself. It is somehow similar to self-concept because it involves what a person believes to be true about him- or herself. Lastly, self-presentation is the theory which suggests that a person tries to influence the perception of his or her image. All of these concepts related to the self involve the all-important  self  and about image. If all of these theories are proven true and are accepted as far as sociology is concerned, then it can be concluded that sociology is indeed a science despite the numerous arguments.

An article posted in Socyberty.com defines sociology as  a science in its own rights since sociologists constantly try to understand social facts based on accepted methodological tools as suited for the items. Sociology is a science it is just that it is not the same as other physical and exact sciences like physics and chemistry which usually deal with accurate data and information.

As a professional, I could apply these concepts to suit my needs. Knowing my abilities and skills would allow me to better do my work, for I can use those abilities and skills to my advantage. Self-esteem meanwhile can boost my confidence and allow me to do my work with passion knowing that I am well equipped, talent-wise. Lastly, self-presentation is important to any professional because people look at a persons image all the time, and an untainted image usually means more success.

0 comments:

Post a Comment